I simply couldn’t resist to make myself a Flora Skirt! The lines of Flora are very feminine and elegant so making this skirt was a “must do”. I’ve to say that the amazing version of Closet Case Files convinced me even more, her skirt is gorgeous and I wish I had such a great fabric on hand! You can also find useful instruction on how to make a Flora skirt on the BHL website, their sewalong post is great!
So here she is, my Herringbone Flora.
As you may guess I’ve used a (sort of) herringbone material – I’m pretty sure it’s mainly polyester, but it didn’t come with any notes about that – woven in black and orange shades. It has a lovely drape and the perfect amount of body for this pattern. I lined it with some Cupro in a lovely dusty orange which matches very well the colors of the main fabric – as usual I prefer showing a pop of color instead of a pop of black!
I’m pretty sure both fabrics stretched a bit after cutting and now I wish I tested this matter beforehand so I could have cut a smaller size. I hope the skirt is not gonna stretch even further otherwise I’ll have to fix it somehow, which means open the seams again, which means pain that I really want to avoid!
Anyway, I cut a 6, but lengthening the hem a bit for work purposes (I need to wear old-looking knee length skirts). I basically used the hem for the size 20 at the front, grading to the hem for an 8 at the centre back. This way the high-low hem isn’t that accentuated, but it’s still visible and the orange lining still pick-a-booing from underneath.
This time I decided to try a different way to attach the lining to the skirt. I’ve sewn together the three skirt panels in both fashion fabric and lining and attached the zipper to the shell. I then sewn them together along the hemline, right sides together. Understitched and trimmed the seam allowance. I flipped the skirt to the right side and basted the waistline of the shell to the lining and only at this point I’ve sewn the knife and box pleats. I didn’t let the fabric relax – well, I couldn’t – so I hope the shell doesn’t stretch too much and keeps this nice shape instead. I also top stitched the hem to help it laying flat.
For the waistband I’ve used the Charlotte skirt pattern piece and it fit perfectly. I also interfaced it to avoid stretching and to give the skirt a bit more of a support as is pretty heavy.
I also sewed a cropped top to go with the skirt, using the same material. For the lining I’ve opted for some black cotton voile instead. Lately I’ve seen short tops everywhere and I really like the look! I’ve used two different Burda patterns to create it – the front is B7113, while the back, shortened, is B7175. I removed the sleeves as here is still pretty warm, even being almost winter, and if it gets cooler I can always wear a tight T-shirt underneath. I’ve also widened the front neckline a bit and added a nice black floral trim because….because I like it!
It’s the first time I use a Burda pattern and I found the sizing pretty accurate, maybe a bit more accurate than other Big4 patterns. What annoyed me it’s that only a couple of finished measurements are given and they all are on the tissue paper – argh!
I’m very happy with how this whole outfit turned out and I’ve already planned another couple of Floras – I love this pattern, it’s so easy to put together and so cool to wear that I can’t really wait to make more! This is my entry – along with the Floral Flora – to win the awesome sewalong price offered by the BHL ladies, three meters of their first printed fabric – Eloise – and also a brand new Janome overlocker! My serger is pretty old and likes to play up so I’d love a new one and I’m sure Eloise would make another wonderful Flora dress ! Fingers crossed!
I’ll leave you with some action shots…